Foodie Gardener Marinated Carrot Salad
• 1 lb peeled Carrots cut into ⅛" slices
• ⅓ cup olive oil
• 4 cloves of smashed garlic (if you want to remove after heating in oil), or dice to keep in salad
• ⅓ cup fresh parsley- chopped
• ½ - 1 teaspoon of salt to taste
• 1 Tbsp Cumin
• 1 Tbsp Paprika
• ¼ cup fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice ( or other flavorful lemon)
• ¼ cup Pine nuts
You can get more great gardening tips from Shirley at FoodieGardener.com or on twitter @FoodieGardeners.
Boil carrots in salted water until tender but not soggy. (15-20 minutes). Put carrots in cold water to stop cooking. Drain.
In a skillet, heat oil and sauté garlic cloves for up to 4 minutes to infuse oil with garlic flavor.
Remove the garlic, or if you prefer to keep it, that's okay.
Add the carrots, lemon juice, parsley and spices and sauté for three minutes to mix ingredients.
Top with Pine nuts and fresh parsley sprigs.
Remove from heat and serve warm or cold.
The salad tastes more flavorful the next day after it has had time to marinate.
Enjoy as a side dish, rolled in a flour tortilla with Feta cheese, or with your sunny-side up eggs!
Return to episode guide >>