Apple-Maple French Toast
Soft caramelized apples are a heavenly topping for a thick slice of fluffy French toast.
Serving Size: Serves 4
• 6 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Ground cinnamon
• 6 slices bread
• 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
• 3 apples, peeled and sliced
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
1. Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and a pinch of ground cinnamon in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add the bread in a single layer, turning until all the egg is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter, and add apples, stirring to coat until starting to caramelize. Add the water, cooking until water has evaporated and apples are tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Pour in the maple syrup and a dash of ground cinnamon; simmer for a minute to combine.
4. In a large, heated nonstick skillet, melt about 1 tablespoon butter and saute the soaked bread until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes. Place French toast on a plate and top with apple-maple mixture, plus more butter if you'd like!
Source: From Mad Hungry, April 2011.